Monday, February 21, 2005

The importance of getting a good night's sleep

Ooof. I had just over 2 hours' sleep last night, so forgive me if this post is less than completely coherent.

Although I've always known that sleep is good, it's been a really, really long time since I've had to survive on very little. Sure, in my student days I'd regularly get maybe 5 hours in between university, work and carousing - but it's been awhile.

Yesterday was such an otherwise-splendid day that sleeplessness was totally unexpected. Although the much-desired brioche baking didn't get off to an optimal start, due to the vagaries of yeast, The Trouser and I had a great time with our new neighbours. The "drink" ended up being a companionable couple of bottles of wine. I do love our new neighbours.

Anyway, in case my earlier trip to the library and supermarket hadn't worn me out, I baked the brioche (some plain, but most with lime marmalade and dark chocolate, yum!) as The Trouser slumbered peacefully. I was pleasantly tired and ready to sleep when I rolled into bed.

Only I didn't sleep. Instead I stared at the ceiling and the view outside; had a snack; read a trashy novel. Only by my second trip to the couch at around 5am did I manage to finally nod off. Not so crash-hot when you need to get up at 7.30.

It did make work more interesting today - veering wildly between fatigue and weepiness certainly does liven up your internal monologue. I managed to get through the day without any tantrums - though I did complain bitterly to a colleague and quite seriously contemplate quitting. Sill, I made it through awake.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming desire to take a nap strengthened significantly once I left work, but I'm determined not to mess up yet another perfectly good night's sleep (wooliness at work one day is okay - but to in a row means I'm making a habit of it. Plus I might fall asleep and drool all over my keyboard...)

So here I am, on the world's comfiest couch, trying desperately to stay awake while I await an important work email, with only Frasier to keep me company (The Trouser is working late again). Sleep is very, very important. I can understand why insomniacs get grumpy, and how people can get addicted to sleeping pills.

And after all that, the brioche not as great as they were last time (tho' the marmalade and chocolate were a great combination). Bugger. No sleep **and** heavy brioche.

1 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

I've been suffering quite a bit of that - waking up around 3am and not being able to get back to sleep. Then it off to the kitchen for tea, toast and telly. Telly is mostly boring at 3am, although the other morning I watched an anaconda swallow a large reptile whole.

5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home