Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Long time no blog

It seems like aaaaages since I last had a chance to sit down and blog, even though it hasn't really been that long (a week, I'm figuring - since the stroppy rant was written at work).

I really look forward to this part of my day - the day's (paid) work done, I walk home as most of my colleagues continue to toil (ha, serves them right for getting in so late), where I have the place to myself for a while. It's the ideal time to sit on my favourite couch, pull my laptop out from its bag, and indulge myself in a bit of blogging.

I could do many other things - laundry, dishes, yada yada - and indeed, some days I do. (I'm learning to appreciate tidiness, even as I subconsciously rebel against it.) Recently I've had so much on that I feel I've barely had a chance to do the basic things I need to do to keep us going, let alone blog. Family stuff, mostly.

Of course, in between all the obligations and miscellaneous tasks o' life, The Trouser and I managed to fit in some quality time. I really feel for couples who don't have much time for each other anymore - with kids, careers, etc. We really don't seem to get enough time together now, but we're probably swimming in it compared to them.

In many ways we're really spoiled - we work semi-flexible hours in workplaces quite close to home; no kids to distract us from each other; no flatmates to get in the way of some together time.

To be fair, we do work and pay for it all. It'd be a damn sight cheaper to flat with other people somewhere - but we like our privacy, and I am crap at flatting. I'm not irresponsible or anything - far from it - I'm anal about flatmates not keeping up their end of the bargain. Except I'm always far too shy to actually say anything, so I get all worked up over silly things.

Though to be fair, it is not unreasonable to ask flatties to lock doors, pay their share of the bills and rent, and flush toilets. You'd think so anyway...

On a brighter note, The Trouser gave me a fantastic bouquet of flowers for V-Day. It was very cheeky of him - we'd agreed to simply spend the night together at home without external intrusions like phone calls, but he confessed he'd planned to buy me flowers all along. At least I'd come to the party with a couple of small gifts for him - I would have felt quite embarrassed otherwise!

I'm not really a fan of the "V-Day is a bunch of commercial bollocks" way of thinking. Sure, lots of businesses benefit from it, but people embrace it nonetheless. NZers seem to spend an awful lot of time complaining about the Americanisation of holidays (and the adoption of holidays and customs from the US), but it's a bit stupid really. As my mother would say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Plus, it's not like you see anyone really enjoying and fully celebrating any other holidays here, do you? Waitaingi Day is either political hot-potato or a non-event, and you can't (nor should you) really cheer up Anzac Day. It's all very well to make a constructive comment, but the out-and-out criticism is just plain petty.

And anyway, any excuse for some extra happiness and romance in people's lives - most of us can do with it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

I can really relate to -

"I'm anal about flatmates not keeping up their end of the bargain. Except I'm always far too shy to actually say anything, so I get all worked up over silly things".

For weeks now I've been grumbling about my noisy neighbours and thinking up horrible tortures for them. But I haven't even bothered to ask them to shut the fuck up.

8:14 pm  
Blogger Frances said...

Nice post...

but are your mum and my mum the same person? Mine also says the "if you can't say anything nice..." thing.

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home