Friday, October 28, 2005

Confession time

While reading Cesca's blog today I followed the link she very helpfully posted to her friend's blog, to a post about the realities of parenting.

What Ella describes is what I am absolutely terrified of.

OK, I'm more freaked out about the pregnancy and giving birth thing - I am *very* private and *very* squeamish - but there is a time limit on that stuff.

I confess, I think parenting is bloody hard work, and I don't know if I want to give up our easier lifestyle to raise children. The Trouser has expressed an interest in being the stay-at-home parent in our relationship - but I dunno if I'd be ok with missing out on all that stuff either.

We're not planning on kids - we're both still undecided, and at 27 we have a fair whack of time to decide. But a good friend of mine is pregnant, and it certainly makes me think.

About how adoption would be less scary, mostly.

(Oh, and about what I can knit for the baby - but also for my friend, because she's doing all the hard work, y'see. So far I've got a baby blanket and a wrap on the go for her, and plans for some cute booties and a hat.)

So anyway, enough about me.

Today, extra-big, fat, warm and squishy fuzzies to people who go the whole nine yards and have kids, and then sacrifice their careers and independence to raise them. You're the rockstars in my book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

I followed that link too. It was great to read about someone else's not-so-fuzzy experiences.

2:41 pm  
Blogger Shoebedoobedoo said...

Oh yeah. Got to say the whole experience of children and parenting habits vicariously (through both friends and family) has really been an eye-opener. I am glad to have such an insight at this stage though - and it hasn't put me off, just made me more aware of the realities, and maybe more empowering to prepare oneself for the prospect of parenthood one day.

3:23 pm  
Blogger Ruth said...

those are the exact same fears that i have about having children (other than screwing them up as i raise them). ditto what everyone said. all my married friends are now all having babies, and i get to see and hear some of those not-so-fuzzy experiences either. i think it's good to hear more about it, to better prepare for the reality of things. (p.s. thanks for the mohair tip!!)

7:21 pm  
Blogger LK said...

Thanks for the fuzzie, it made me feel a lot better. That was a really nice post and if it does ever happen for you, your potential bubba is one lucky baby.

3:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home