Tuesday, May 17, 2005

An update in a hurry

I feel like I've barely had time to breathe in the last few weeks. Work has been frantic, with a hugely increased load and no one to help - woe is me!

Meanwhile I'm still trying the modern domestic goddess thing at home. In my world, this translates into healthy meals frozen for when we're too shagged to cook; lots of knitting; laundry almost every day; tidying up after both of us so The Trouser comes home to a tidy place; oh, and did I mention my knitting?

I am knitting gifts for the people we are going to stay with on out trip in August. And some things for myself - I am not selfish, but not totally selfless either!

At any rate, I thought it was bad on Friday. I had planned to work from home for the afternoon, so I left for home at 3pm without any lunch. I then proceeded to work until 6.30pm. Craziness!

But even more craziness awaited me. I had a sick day yesterday, and enjoyed it by not turning my laptop on (and thus avoiding the temptation to answer a few work emails from home).

So when I came in this morning there were over 800 emails and about 10 additional tasks, each more than an hour long - plus all the stuff I didn't manage to finish last week, plus all the usual stuff.

The boss and I have agreed to have a chat about what we can farm out - though to whom we're not exactly sure on, since we have no staff.

In the meantime, I plan to concentrate on getting all these annoying work things done - working late if required to meet deadlines. I doubt I'll have time for knitting, and I may post even less. My apologies in advance!

Right, my "Deleted items" box is empty now, back to work!

4 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

That sounds a lot like my old IT job. They were too stingy to hire more staff but were often happy to pay us overtime rates to work evenings and weekends.

6:18 pm  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Wow, overtime sounds nice! I think they figure that glory and prestige are good substitutes here... shame they don't pay the mortgage...

4:49 pm  
Blogger LK said...

Wow, that is full-on. What line of work do you do?

6:12 pm  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Web and email stuff, from a comms & marketing perspective. Unfortunately since I'm staff-less, I am also my own (baby) developer, data entry person and editor!

5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home