Friday, October 27, 2006

Knitting, blogging, wedding stuff

Work aside, lots of things have been going on in our lives recently.

Knitting
I've created and completed a beautiful Forecast cardigan for my mother's birthday, which she loves. I still need to get her to wear it to take a photo...

I've started another beaded cardigan - Martha from Rowan 37. It's cotton and with over 1,700 beads... I've done the 2 sleeves and am already thoroughly sick of beads.

I am about to start another River from Rowan 38 - a lace mohair wrap - for my grandmother, who turns 95 on Boxing Day. The hitch is that I need to get it knitted and blocked in time for my mother to take it to Florida, and I don't have the yarn yet... I'm looking forward to this as a kind of do-over of the first one I made - they will be identical, except the new one won't have errors in the lace.

I've also discovered some great patterns for honeymoon knitting - a lace mohair cardigan in Kid Silk Haze, and a lace shawl in some very fine yarn. I'll need maximum yardage for minimum weight and space, plus the smallest, least threatening needles I can find, so that it's practical and hopefully plane-safe. These projects are still being considered. The Trouser's wedding gift of a man-cardigan or sweater will have to wait till we're settled somewhere.

Blogging
I've come to the momentous decision that by the end of the year - or when we leave - I will stop blogging here and will start a new blog with my real name - the end of my anonyblogging.

I'd like to keep in touch with people without boring them senseless with group emails, and I think I may even invest more energy if it's my blog in a public sense. I'll let you know when I start.

Wedding stuff
Well we're coming on apace! The international invitations are out, and the local ones are slowly being handed out. We've had a hard time with the guest list - several tiers, plus trying to anticipate who will and won't come from overseas. We're aiming for 100 max - but if some unexpected overseas guests get here and push us over the magic number, what the hell!

We opted not to get the expensive personalised stamps you can get, mostly because the cost of postage is really, really high already. (Trust us to pick the oversized invitation!)

At the moment, the most exciting guest prize is tied between my older brother's mother-in-law, who's coming from Japan; and a friend from my student exchange in 1995, from Germany.

W've made some real progress in real stuff too - The Trouser picked his ring and it's ready to pick up; and we had a lot of fun compiling a couple of registries. Since we already have lots of stuff, and we're moving, we have asked for less household-type stuff, and have included a honeymoon registry.

Ooh, the honeymoon. have I raved about it already? (I don't think so...) 3 nights in Hong Kong, 2 1/2 weeks in Goa, then a week in Crete - then on to Dublin or London to start our "new life". It may be the best part of the wedding...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, what a honeymoon!! (insert envy here) =)
p.s. glad to hear that your boss is finally leaving. sounds like about time!!

5:33 pm  
Blogger Eatsruns said...

I started with the back of Martha, still going.... must blog about it soon!

Hey, if you're getting rid of any knitting stuff (Rowan 38 for example?) when you leave drop me a line!!

Glad all of the plans are going well :)

Oooh, I'm not usually the type to put the word verification word in my comment but the current word is "yamoo". That should totally be a real word!

9:42 pm  
Blogger Violet said...

sounds like a great honeymoon, and the perfect way to start a new blog - though you can leave out the newly-wed sex if you want.

9:41 am  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Ruth: yeah, it's a pretty exciting trip - very full on! And we're all breathing a sigh of relief re: the boss, it is well past time!

Sarah: Not much likelihood of me ditching any Rowan books I have, but I'll keep it mind! And you're right, "yarnoo" should be a word. Like the call of the yarn maybe?

Violet: my parents will eventually get the URL, so newlywed sex will absolutely be omitted!

11:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home