Thursday, October 05, 2006

Family

I just found out that my grandmother was hurt. She's doing ok, but an early-morning fall and a fracture were involved.

How did I find out? From my cousin's blog.

I'm not close with the cousin - depsite visiting the States numerous times in the past 17 years, she was always too busy to see any of us. So the last time I saw here I was about 11. Most of what I now know about her is from her blog, plus a bit of Googling when I got curious.

Her post on our grandmother was, unsurprisingly, all about her and her impressions of what our grandmother is feeling, and how it affected her. Fair enough, it's her blog... But somehow it irked me even more. The blog post went on and on about how my cousin imagines our grandmother feeling... but I didn't buy it. *Everyone* is scared of growing old, but old people much less so than the rest of us - stop all the transference already!

Hmph. As much as I rail against the stereotypical American image of self-obsession and a lack of interest in the real world, some days I'm definitely related to examples of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

It's kind of bizarre to have to rely on blogs to keep in touch with family, but then I've had people I knew in school email me after finding my blog.

Strange that no-one bothered to tell you directly about your grandmother though, eh? Were you close?

9:24 am  
Blogger The Skirt said...

It's kind of weird, but that part of the family don't even bother to write or call more than once a year, so I'm not too surprised.

Turns out my aunt had emailed Mum, who hadn't checked that address for once, so at least someone did say something! I'm not particularly close with my grandmother, but I like knowing she's ok.

1:24 pm  
Blogger jenknits said...

I can relate to how you're feeling about that transference stuff. It can be irritating when we see people talking/thinking about themselves when they should be putting their energy into someone else. Even more so on a blog for all the world to see. I guess that's why I only have one close friend who knows where I blog. The only family that goes there is my DH and one of my daughters. The real me is most of the time in person. I don't blog much especially personal stuff about myself because I'm terrified of someone finding it who knows me.

6:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home