Friday, July 28, 2006

SP question

Warning: solely knitting-related content in this post. Proceed at your own risk!

Our SP hostess has asked us to answer the following questions, so here goes:

Someone has stolen your stash and all your books: now what are you going to do?
Cry. And cry. Cry some more, and question why my stash in particular would be stolen. It's dear to me (well, mostly) but it's not that impressive really.

I'd probably rejoice a little over some of the nastier parts of my stash being taken away from me, since I'd feel too guilty chucking it.

I'd definitely be mourning the loss of some of my yarns: the one-offs from Argentina that aren't mass-produced, for example.

I'd really miss my books, too. They're a good mix of practical books that I got on sale, and more esoteric books with beautiful, inspirational pictures and layout, like Alterknits. Oh, and I'd miss my Rowan books and magazines.

I'd shed some tears over some of my needles going: the Clover bamboo needles that The Trouser got me for Xmas, and some cool vintage needles I've been given.

Assuming you don't let the experience discourage you from ever knitting again...What would be the first thing you'd replace?
I'd replace the more useful stuff first, like the Rowan magazines and books. And Last Minute Gifts, because there are a few paterns in there I'm still hanging out to try.

I couldn't replace a lot of the yarn, since there are one-offs there. I'd probably only buy yarn for specific projects... plus some Kid Silk Haze or Kid Silk Night, because I love it and I like to have it on hand just in case.

I'd replace the Clovers straight away, and my fairly extensive collection of circular needles. The vintage needles would be hard to replace, but I'd certainly take them if I was offered them again!

What would you live without?
I would definitely live without all the bitsy yarn I have. And the skeins and skeins of yarn that I don't have the fibre content or length for. And probably the Australasian pattern books I have, since they're just not that great. And maybe all the patterns I've printed from the Internet, since I don't usually get around to using them...

I could probably live without millions of mismatched metal needles in varying lengths. I probably don't need more than 2 sets of each size, either.


The irony of all this is that I will have to de-stash somehow in the foreseeable future. Our plan to move to Ireland involves sacrificing material possessions. I *will* have to decide which needles, yarn and books to take with me. And which to (gulp) donate to the world at large.

So glad I have a few months before I have to contemplate this seriously!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home