Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The perfect pizza

As winter draws in, I've been thinking a lot about pizza.

You see, I have always loved pizza, but especially in winter. It is good in summer, but somehow it tastes extra-good in winter.

The Trouser and I have eaten more than our fair share of pizza in our time together - some good, and some very mediocre.

Our current commercial favourite is Melt Pizza: he's the chilli prawn, I'm the Tijuana chicken. If we couldn't get Melt, we could always try our backup: Pizza Hut's vegetarian (crispy base) with bbq sauce on top.

We currently shun pizza from pretty much anywhere else - including Hell Pizza, whom we used to love but have decided produce a mediocre product, though their site is fun to play on.

Last night though, I made us pizza, using the recipe from the only cookbook I've ever liked enough to blog about. It may seem weird to use semolina in a pizza base - hell, it's pretty weird to have it on hand, let alone use it - but it is fantastic. So good, in fact, that it's worth photocopying at the library.

And although the toppings I selected resulted in a less fantastic product than usual (memo to self: sometimes you do need pineapple to balance the flavours), The Trouser made what he proudly declared to be the best pizza ever.

Yummy-ness aside, what I also love about making pizza is that it is a very sociable and relaxed thing to do. Everyone can be included in the prep (okay, everyone who's allowed to use knives), everyone gets to make their own meal, and there's a bit of hanging around while the pizzas are in the oven.

Oh, and did I mention that making the bases is dead easy, but everyone I know is too scared to try, so they think I'm a genius?? Always a nice way to start the evening :-)

Serious question though: pineapple or no pineapple?

2 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

I've always thought that pizza always smells way better than it tastes.

5:56 pm  
Blogger LK said...

I love pineapple and after years of leaving it off my pizza, I'm finding that it balances the chilli and blue cheese that I love very nicely. So, definitely a yes.

I can't get that Melt pizza delivered which I find sad but next time I'm in the neighbourhood I'll try to remember it - it looks good.

11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home