Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Keeping busy

Yesterday was one of my busier days of late. In addition to a fairly full work day, I managed to have The Talk About the Non-Raise with my boss.

It went better than what I expected. The upshot of it all is that she will talk to The Big Boss, and see if we can get a handle on what a market rate salary range for the job is, with a view to paying me more. Even though there's no budget for it.

In more work news, it hit 30C at 3pm, so we upstairs went home. Yep, still no air conditioning. The new A/C unit is in, but not yet operational. It's the second time in a week that it's hit 30C - which is our unofficial "down tools" temperature. I was really, really annoyed when my mum gave me the big thermometer for Christmas one year, but it's been very handy at work these past few months.

So if you leave work early, you go shopping, right? Well, I tried to anyway. We finished our proper Christmas shopping a while ago, but I'm picking up a few treats for The Trouser (no details because he reads this!).

We have a set budget of $300 (because his water purifier, his main present, was about that much). I don't know what I want, and he is getting a bit frustrated I think.

Usually he does a magic thing where he buys stuff secretly and it's all amazing, but this year I've tried to be helpful. I've selected some underwear, a book, some knitting needles, but he needs more. I've scoured the shops for a fancy dress or cardigan or something, all to no avail.

So yesterday I went in search of a knitting book. I visited 4 stores and there was nothing even remotely covetable.

Fallback options include some Clover knitting needles (bamboo and apparently amazing), stitch markers and another row-counter (I have 2 but can have 3 projects going, so I need at least 3!). Or, as he suggested, this nifty little gadget. But will it just be a gadget, used initially and then consigned to a drawer? Mayber it would be helpful with wedding planning?

My dilemma is that I don't actually need anything, but I love opening gifts. A lot. And surprises, also a lot.

Suggestions, anyone?


In other knitting news, I've begun to sew up the baby blanket: 2 of the 8 strips so far. And it's cute! After all the work, it had better be...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

good luck with getting an actual payrise! then maybe you can up the present budget so you can open more of 'em?

4:12 pm  
Blogger Violet said...

I second the editter's good wishes!

7:31 pm  
Blogger WDL said...

what about vintage pattern books? he'd really have to look for that - and it would be fun. You can pick them up at tag sales and second hand shops for a song. (or e-bay, but the holiday is close). You could make trendy vintage sweaters... but they'd be brand spanking new!

m

4:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home