Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Frustration

After 2 years' hard work and "consistently exceed[ing] expectations", I received my salary review yesterday.

I got a 0.079% raise.

Yes, you read correctly, that's <1%.

Frustrated beyond belief after all my hard work, and with the additional responsibilities steadily piling up (as they have over the past year or so), I ask myself: is it all really worth it when they give one of the department's top performers such a pitiful raise?

I have to talk to my boss about it and see what can be done, but I am seriously reconsidering my role here.

I'd get more for my skills in the open marketplace, but there are trade-offs from working here. However I do think the additional responsibilities do merit a decent raise.

It would be a pain to move jobs, plus we're planning the wedding (Feb-March '07 here we come!), and we've planned to move overseas after the wedding anyway. But I am kind of generally dissatisfied with a lot of things in my department that I know won't change, and the insulting "raise" has topped it all off.

So what would you do?

Stay, or go?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Stay. Work standard hours. Take long lunches. Don't do overtime. Blog more from work. In other words, take the easy option!

3:50 pm  
Blogger The Skirt said...

I'm not sure I can - there's such a lot to be done and I know I'll continue to work long hours to get it all done, even though I'm being paid peanuts. I'd feel ashamed otherwise :-(

4:33 pm  
Blogger Violet said...

Are you any good at confronting the boss and negotiating for a better deal? Sounds like you've been treated poorly.

I used to get "Competent" in my performance appraisals, and received better pay rises than yours...

8:10 pm  
Anonymous Chimney Cleaning Youngstown said...

Thiss is a great post thanks

1:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home