Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Knitting

My arm warmers (essential for the chilly, over-air-conditioned office I work in) are temporarily on hold this week, as I've been busy with other knitting projects.

Project 1: a knitted case/ cover for The Trouser's iPod mini. More like a little sleeping bag really, but knitted, and for a gadget.

Since the iPod mini itself is tiny, it was a lovely quick project - about an hour, including excessive fussing about the width and where the fastening should go.

Project 2: a lovely scarf for the mother-in-law's birthday. Much more frustrating than #1, as I started it on 3 different needle sizes before finally settling on the needles I initially thought would be too boring.

Memo to self: a loose-knit scarf would be very beautiful and soft, but the m-i-l is highly unlikely to wear something this lovely. Boring is better.

I exchanged a couple of balls of wool left over from my cardigan - same wool (well, same synthetic mix), but a different colour, so she doesn't get that her scarf is essentially made from cast-offs. (LOL, sad knitting pun there... never mind...)

Anyway after what seemed like hours and hours of knitting, I have made very little progress. It is kind of square-shaped, which is good - but her b'day is on Thursday, and we'll probably see them at the weekend.

However, given my slow progress so far, plus The Trouser's desire to spend proper quality time together (i.e. unimpeded by knitting needles and/ or TV or computers), it seems likely that we'll just go out and buy a present, and I'll finish the sccarf in time for Mother's Day, when I'll give it to my mum. She's a big fan of my knitted stuff, bless her, so she'll probably wear it too.

In the meantime though, I am getting a little ansty for additional knitting projects (yes I am that sad).

Hey Violet, would you like bootees and/ or a hat for your darling child-to-be?

4 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

What a lovely gesture! Although I have about a million items of borrowed baby clothing, something handmade would be really special. It would have to be in cotton though, since it's bound to inherit either my super-sensitive skin or the boy's fairly-sensitive skin.

10:15 pm  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Cotton, check!

Any ideas re: colours you'd like, and the kind of item? I am open to anything :-)

12:04 pm  
Blogger Violet said...

purple is always good, or if you like to work in multiples, blue and orange are my favourite combination. I wouldn't have a clue what sort of item though...perhaps a beanie?

12:01 pm  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Lovely - that gives me lots to go on!

2:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home